Definition: Proper acceptance or courtesy; recognition of a person’s worth, personal quality, ability, trait.
This topic was not in my list of my original topics, but I need to address it after hearing a story about lack of respect in my family that was disconcerting. Some individuals think they have some privilege to demean, and degrade others. They engage in this behavior and don’t let facts get in their way.
Many of these disrespectful people:
• Do not treat others equally
• Are unwilling to consider others experiences, problems, or issues
• Are quick to judge without any consideration
• Are unwilling to listen, understand or accept others opinions, and/or facts
• Limit communication by their behavior (incessant talking, unwilling to discuss topics they are not interested in)
• Make fun of others who differ in opinion, behavior, and/or looks
My career was filled with disrespectful people at all levels; people with big egos, status conscious (belittled those considered beneath them), had poor manners, and many others too numerous to mention. I think movies, television and radio talk shows have had a tremendous negative impact on respectful behavior. Interrupting, talking over others, and increasing volume are a few examples of what we all see or hear on a daily basis.
A business related experience was so irritating that I had to resign from the organization. What happened? The situation involved a business networking meeting. There was an agenda which included a 15 minute segment for referrals and testimonials. The focus was intended to be on others in the meeting, and not on themselves. Incredibly some members just couldn’t resist talking about themselves during that time even though there was time on the agenda for that purpose. I spent over 5 years trying to get that accomplished, and sadly realized that some individuals can’t change their behavior.